Sunday, July 19, 2009

Arthur, Illinois and the Amish

Tammy Watts introduced me to reading about the Amish quite a few months ago, and I have just loved reading about the Amish people. When I planned this trip and knew Tammy was coming, I knew we had to visit an Amish community while in Illinois. Tammy did some investigating online and found an Amish lady, Ruth Yoder, who serves lunches in her home. Even though it was a 4 hour drive to Arthur, Illinois (the largest Amish community in Illinois) we decided that it was an opportunity that we couldn't pass up. This is the cute little sign Ruth had placed in her yard to show us where to park our car. There was another group of women, 11 of them, that ate with us. We had a wonderful time chatting with them, the food was fantastic, and Tammy was able to ask all of the questions she's had about the Amish and their beliefs and way of life. I have a great respect for them. Ruth is only 58 years old but appears to be in her 70's. A result, I'm sure, from the 4 am mornings feeding the animals and going to bed at 9 pm every day of her life. They certainly work hard. Their community does not use electricity. Her fan ran from an air compressor, propane was used for her lamps, and even their farming is done with horses pulling their plows. It was a fun trip!



The four of us in front of their horse and buggy.



After lunch we stopped at an Amish market where Tammy started up a conversation with an older Amish gentleman. She was trying to find out if we could get a ride in a buggy some way, and while she was visiting with him a gentleman named Cephais came along with this wagon and said he could take us for a ride around his property for a few dollars. He was supposed to be taking another group around, but they hadn't shown up yet. So, we got our ride. The following pictures are from his property (except the one of the laundry). Craig likes to tease me that I might leave him for Cephais and the Amish way of life, but I reasure him that it could never happen...because of the beards!!!


Cephais and his sisters actually run the market we stopped at, so we got a good glimpse of all they grow to put in their market. These are his tomatoes. I told him he needs to teach me how to grow tomatoes because I have failed miserably in the past. He assured me that if I lived there a month, he'd have me growing tomatoes! I almost took him up on the offer. ;-)



We happened to drive through on everyone's laundry day because no matter where we drove, this is what we saw.







No comments:

Post a Comment