Sunday, July 19, 2009

Carthage Jail

One of the highlights of the trip was visiting Carthage jail. It's hard to explain the way I felt while there, or in any part of Nauvoo actually, except to say that I have such an incredible amount of gratitude for Joseph Smith and the Saints who sacrificed so much, including many of their own lives, so that we can worship without the persecution they faced. I truly love them with all my heart, and I don't think I came back the same person I was when I left. Our closing song in Sacrament Meeting today was "Come, Come Ye Saints", and I couldn't sing because of the emotions it brought to the surface. This trip has left a lasting impression on me!



A picture from inside the jail of the window that Joseph Smith went through after being shot. Even while standing there in the room, it was hard to really take in that we were actually standing where Joseph and Hyrum Smith had died. And I'll never forget the sweet couple missionaries that invited the Spirit every time they would share their testimonies at all of the historic sites at Carthage and in Nauvoo.

My favorite quote at Carthage Jail. In case you can't read it..."Patience is heavenly, obedience is noble, forgiveness is merciful, and exaltation is Godly; and he that holds out faithful to the end shall in no wise lose his reward. A good man will endure all things to honor Christ, and even dispose of the whole world, and all in it, to save his soul." Joseph Smith, Jr. and Hyrum Smith 1844



A picture of where we stayed. It was about 5.5 miles south of Nauvoo. It was a wonderful place. We all had our own beds (2 doubles in 2 rooms), 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, and a family room with couches and a tv. The tv went unused but the 2 bathrooms were life savers!



Our view from the back porch. Breathtaking! (Ok, so maybe not evident from the picture, but it really was!)







No comments:

Post a Comment